One of the most popular Day Trips for our guests is a visit to Martha’s Vineyard during their stay. Visitors love that the island is located only seven miles off the Massachusetts coastline and a 45-minute ferry ride from Woods Hole, Falmouth. We invite you to scroll down for a brief video, as well as some pictures of the Vineyard and a sample itinerary.
There are many ways to get around and explore the Vineyard. For example you can use the Martha’s Vineyard transit authority bus system where for $8 ($5 seniors), a day pass will take you on varying routes, and you can hop on and off as you please. Tickets between towns are $2. You could also opt to rent mopeds, bicycles or a car to explore the island. In addition to self touring the island there is a popular 2 and 1/2 hour bus tour of the island that many guests take once they get off the ferry and then they use the rest of their day to explore the island on their own.
A sample itinerary for a day trip to Martha’s Vineyard is provided below:
- 8:00 am Breakfast at The Captain’s Manor Inn
- 8:50am Make short walk from The Captain’s Manor Inn to the Steamship Authority Ferry Shuttle Bus
- 9:30am Ferry departs from Woods Hole
- 10:15am Ferry arrives in Oak Bluffs, Martha’s Vineyard
- 10:30am Depart on the Martha’s Vineyard Sightseeing Tour
- 1:00pm Arrive in Oak Bluffs following tour
- 1:15pm Enjoy lunch at Nancy’s overlooking Oak Bluffs Harbor
- 2:30pm Walk about Oak Bluffs and explore the Gingerbread Houses by the Tabernacle and visit the beach
- 4:00pm Board Bus #13 to head to Edgartown
- 4:15pm Explore Edgartown’s shops and beautiful historic homes
- 6:00pm Enjoy dinner and drinks at the Atlantic (or at any number of restaurants) on the Edgartown harbor
- 7:45pm Board Bus#13 back to head to Oak Bluffs
- 8:15pm Ferry departs for Woods Hole