Chocolate Covered Coconut Macaroons are a great afternoon goodie to enjoy here at the Inn.
We hope you enjoy the recipe.
Servings: 2 dozen macaroons
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 25 Minutes
Total Time: 45 Minutes
• One 14-ounce bag sweetened shredded coconut (such as Baker’s Angel Flake)
• 7/8 cup (a scant cup) sweetened condensed milk
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 2 large eggs whites
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate or dark chocolate – best quality such as Ghirardelli (We use local chocolate at Ghelfi’s on Main Street)
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F. Set oven racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a medium bowl, mix together the shredded coconut, sweetened condensed milk and vanilla extract then set aside.
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the egg whites and salt until stiff peaks form.
4. Use a large rubber spatula to fold the egg whites into the coconut mixture.
5. Using two spoons, form heaping tablespoons of the mixture into mounds on the prepared baking sheets, spacing about 1 inch apart.
6. Bake for about 25 minutes, until the tops are lightly golden and the bottoms and edges are deeply golden.
7. If dipping the macaroons in chocolate, we melt the chocolate in a double boiler over simmering water. If you do not have a double boiler you can melt the chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl at medium power, stopping and stirring at 30 second intervals, until just smooth and creamy.
8. Dip the tops of the macaroons in the chocolate, letting any excess drip back into the bowl, and return to the lined baking sheets. Place the macaroons in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes to allow the chocolate to set.